What does Republicanism mean to you?

Eagle of the Ninth

Reaction score
k, so this thread should obviously be in political theory but last time I checked, only a small elite could start threads there (how republican is that btw? ;)). In any case I would appreciate if this thread could be moved into that forum by one of the elect.

Anyway, the purpose of this thread is to get to the bottom of people's understanding of the term "republicanism". The reason I've started it is that I've noticed a certain degree of dispute and indeed contest over ownership of the term. Obviously, there's lots of stuff written on this academically but I am highly interested in how the good people of politics.ie interpret it ordinarily.

For example, you naturally hear people talking about republicanism in the specific Irish context. Then you might hear people speak of it in a more abstract way. Reference may be made to continental brands, such as French Republicanism or more classic republicanism in ancient Greece or Rome. Further to this, you may even hear people suggest that Irish republicanism is not really republicanism or that people who call themselves republicans here are not using the term correctly.

Anyway, I would like to hear thoughts on this.

I'll start off with the Wikipedia definition:
Republicanism is the ideology of governing a society or state as a republic (la. res publica), where the head of state is a representative of the people who hold popular sovereignty rather than the people being subjects of the head of state. The head of state is typically appointed by means other than heredity, often through elections.
Republicanism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Dictionary.com defines republic as follows:
1. a state in which the supreme power rests in the body of citizens entitled to vote and is exercised by representatives chosen directly or indirectly by them.

2. any body of persons viewed as a commonwealth.

3. a state in which the head of government is not a monarch or other hereditary head of state.

4. (initial capital letter) any of the five periods of republican government in France.
Compare First Republic, Second Republic, Third Republic, Fourth Republic, Fifth Republic.

5. (initial capital letter, italics) a philosophical dialogue (4th century b.c.) by Plato dealing with the composition and structure of the ideal state.
But people don't need to get too hung up on exact definitions either.

I leave the floor to you.

Moria

Reaction score
Republicanism encourages philistinism, materialism and the me, me, me society we see taking root in Ireland.

Moria

Reaction score
This site is dead. Just give up. Forums are dying. Don't bother wasting anymore money lads.

Slán

Reaction score
As one can surmise, a hard Brexit could easily result in an united Ireland within the EU.

D

Deleted member 11

This site is dead. Just give up. Forums are dying. Don't bother wasting anymore money lads.

Slán
Maybe. Unless they develop to be more like facebook where live video can be fed and people are more willing to unmask themselves like they do on facebook.

What would the difference be.

Shorty Bang Bang

Reaction score
Root out the fanatics and the crazies and have more general topics and the site will prosper !

Olli Rehn

Reaction score
Don’t think so, dude... long way off
A United Ireland is light years away. I do not know how the 20 billion pounds the North is getting from London can be forked out by Dublin- the dosh is not there. We must also consider the huge amount of government jobs up the 6 counties. And not enough jobs in the private industry.
What about all the hate between the two communities? It won't go away over night. Has not gone away since the Good Friday Agreement....more than 20 years passed since.
If we have a border poll- and a "yes" for a UI on both sides of the border, we could easily end up with Unionist terror squads down south trying to force a reversal of the decision.

Shawn Slott

Reaction score
A United Ireland is light years away. I do not know how the 20 billion pounds the North is getting from London can be forked out by Dublin- the dosh is not there. We must also consider the huge amount of government jobs up the 6 counties. And not enough jobs in the private industry.
What about all the hate between the two communities? It won't go away over night. Has not gone away since the Good Friday Agreement....more than 20 years passed since.
If we have a border poll- and a "yes" for a UI on both sides of the border, we could easily end up with Unionist terror squads down south trying to force a reversal of the decision.
Agree totally Olli, no matter what, right now and for the long term,a UI I feel would be a disaster for this island.

Think South Africa..... look at it now.

The auld war horses just want a UI, as indeed I would like, but not in the current circumstances.

Then they will just throw their hands up in the air when the whole thing implodes and blame the gubbermint,blame anybody but themselves for not seeing the obvious outcome.

Moria

Reaction score
Those most enthusiastic about a UI will have to convince the rest of us that the Unionists (who will no doubt be disgruntled) will not cause mayhem when they are forced to join with the Republic. Until they can do that, I'm opposed to a UI

Dan72

Reaction score
Republicanism is a dead concept, in this global world, the future is about partnerships and unions.

Mowl

Reaction score
What does Republicanism mean to you?

Absolutely nothing other than a geographical and political border.

It's an historic way of viewing Ireland - just check the differences between FF and FG.

And Labour remain in the grave with Larkin.

Hopeless stuff.